The school, being the first place outside of the home where children are required to be sociable, must be organized and supported by a system of regulations to ensure its effectiveness in this role as well as to be a safe place for children.
In order to do this effectively, the parents’ contribution to the proper functioning of this system is crucial.
So pleased be advised of the following:
When buying a schoolbag, please take into consideration the age and strength of the child and not buy one too large or heavy. A small bag is the ideal choice, without wheels so as to avoid accidents and big enough only to contain a change of clothing and underwear.
It is not necessary for the child to bring toys from home (except during the adjustment period), as this is likely to create various problems. Water bottles need also not be brought as this has already been taken care of by the school.
The choice of comfortable and easy-to-wear clothes and shoes facilitates the child’s movement, allows the child to be independent when taking clothes on and off (difficult buttons and belts should be avoided) and protects against accidents (which could be caused by laces, earrings and pendants).
For the Infant Class: to facilitate the many everyday changes it is good to avoid pull-up nappies, shoes with laces and overalls.
We also recommend putting the name of the child in both the jacket and the bag.
The school provides all children the same nutritionally balanced meals (breakfast, elevensies, lunch and afternoon tea). The programme of monthly meals is sent out at the beginning of each month.
If, in the case of illness (e.g. Gastroenteritis), an alternative is required, this is possible after consultation with the school management.
Bringing food from home is allowed for medical reasons only (e.g. a food allergy), and always after consultation with the management.
This very personal and enjoyable celebration is a good opportunity to teach children first-hand the meaning of enjoying the important things in life.
Therefore at “Fotini”, the birthday cake is homemade, prepared and decorated with the help of the child, and birthday gifts are the hugs, drawings and warm greetings of their classmates and teachers.
If you wish to celebrate your child’s birthday at school, please make arrangements with the school management in advance.
5) Arriving at School:
The educational programme starts at 9:30 a.m.. Arriving on time helps children to be part of the group and teaches them to be consistent.
If for some reason there is a delay, the child should join the class on his own (for older children only), as by doing this the concentration of the group is not broken, nor is the ongoing classroom activity interrupted.
Children say goodbye to their parents at the entrance of the Nursery and not inside the school.
6) School Library:
In order to serve the objectives of the existence of a lending library and continue its smooth operation we ask that you:
- Observe the time limits for borrowing books (1-3 days)
- Take care that the books are brought back in good condition
- Please replace books that have been damaged
7) Leaving school:
At the beginning of the year you will be asked to name the person or persons responsible for picking the child up from school or the school bus.
When someone else is to pick up the child for the first time, the parents must inform the management, and the said person must be able to provide proof of identification.
8) School Bus Service:
- Although every effort is made by the school to smooth out the routes of school buses, unfortunately there will be deviations from the agreed timings. There is not much we can do about the obstacles we encounter daily on the streets, but you too can minimize delays by being ready on time, both before and after school, at the entrance of your home (and sometimes being patient).
- For any change in the itinerary (absence from school, parents taking children to school instead of using the school bus, changes to timings etc.) please inform the school and not only the bus driver.
9) Parent-teacher Meetings:
Parent-teacher consultations are conducted at scheduled morning or evening meetings throughout the course of the year.
Beyond this, however, it is useful to contact the school and tell the teacher about any event that may affect the child’s health, emotions and behaviour.
Please avoid scheduling meetings during lesson times, namely:
Nursery and Prenursery: 09.30 – 13.00
Pre-prenursery: 09.30 – 12.30
Post Infant: 09.30 – 12.15
Infant: 11.30 – 13.30
Note: The presence of children at the scheduled parent-teacher meeting is not allowed.
10) Personal Information:
As part of the Personal Data Protection Act, the school is not authorized to give parents information about other children and their families, including telephone numbers.
- If a child becomes ill, and depending on the type and severity of the condition, it is advisable to try to keep the child at home, both for his own speedy recovery and to prevent transmission to other children.
- If you are informed about the existence of nits or lice, please do whatever is necessary to get rid of them before the problem spreads, and affects many families for a long time.
For the smooth running of the school, tuition fees are to be paid during the first ten days of each month.
The school management is at your disposal for any clarification or comments.